Dehumidifiers are most useful if you live in an area that creates a lot of moisture. This device works by sucking in the air through a fan, and then cooling and heating it to create dry air. Dehumidifiers gather water from the air that is then put in a tank which will have to be emptied once filled. Besides clearing the tank, other steps should be taken for the maintenance of your dehumidifier. In this article, we will be answering your frequently asked questions and informing you on how to clean a dehumidifier.
Cleaning a dehumidifier
Dehumidifiers have elements such as a filter and tank that is important for the device to function properly. If you do not keep your dehumidifier clean, the efficacy of the machine will be lowered and instead, you will be misusing energy.
- The first step to cleaning a dehumidifier is to unplug it from any outlets. Make sure that the device is off so that you will know if it is safe to clean.
- Dehumidifiers suck in the air using outer vents. Therefore, dust could be trapped in the outer part of the dehumidifier which is why cleaning this is as important. The outer part can be cleaned with the use of a dry towel to remove any dirt or grime that may be stuck. If the dry towel is not working, a damp one may be used instead. However, you should never use a completely soaked towel as the moisture could damage the inner and electrical parts of the dehumidifier.
After cleaning the outside of the dehumidifier, you can move on to the internal components that require the most care.
How to clean a dehumidifier reservoir
Read also: Best humidifiers for large rooms
The reservoir or tank of a dehumidifier is where the water is gathered. Emptying this reservoir whenever it is full is necessary. The reservoir must be cleaned often, as mold or mildew could develop in it if it is not cleaned well. To clean the dehumidifier reservoir, the following must be done:
- Fill the tank with warm, clean water and dish soap about a quarter way.
- Use a sponge to scrub it.
- After scrubbing, spray the reservoir with white vinegar and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Wipe with a damp cloth afterward and allow it to dry
Cleaning a dehumidifier filter
The dehumidifier filter plays an important role as it protects the internal parts of the dehumidifier, and it is also what cleans the dry air that comes out. If the air filter is filthy, the dehumidifier will not be able to work as the air will not be able to pass through. The following is the best way to clean an air filter:
- Inspect it first, and check if it is still usable or if it needs to be replaced.
- If it is usable, vacuum it to remove and dust, then make a cleaning solution using warm water and mild detergent.
- Place the air filter in the solution and let it soak for 10 minutes.
- Afterward, dry it off completely and put it back into the dehumidifier.
Cleaning a dehumidifier bucket filter
The last component that needs to be cleaned is the bucket filter. This is what catches any impurities that may have been sucked in by the dehumidifier. Not all dehumidifiers have a bucket filter, however, in the situation that yours does, you must make sure to clean it regularly to avoid any blockages. To clean a dehumidifier bucket filter, simply remove it and rinse with warm water. Allow it to dry afterward, and then put it back into the dehumidifier.
The following are simple tips you can follow to keep your dehumidifier in great working conditions:
- Keep your dehumidifiers in a place that has a level surface and is away from any obstruction.
- Keep the room temperature around 65˚F or higher.
- Close all windows and doors when the dehumidifier is operating.
- Replace or clean the air filter regularly.
- Always clean the water container.
- Avoid turning your dehumidifier on and off immediately. Make sure you wait at least 10 minutes before turning it back on.
- Clean the air intake and exhaust grilles as this could contribute to poor dehumidifier performance.
How often should you clean your dehumidifier?
Your dehumidifier must be cleaned regularly so that it can function properly. We suggest cleaning your dehumidifier once every three weeks when used regularly.
What to do if your dehumidifier is not collecting water?
If your dehumidifier is not collecting water, make sure to check that the room temperature is over 65˚F. If it is still not working even though your room is at this temperature, then it is likely there are internal issues with your machine that you would need a trained technician to check. Some problems that may cause your dehumidifier to not collect water can be an issue with the capacitator in the compressor circuit, a problem with the fan motor or your dehumidifier compressor is not working. There can be numerous reasons as to why your dehumidifier is not functioning properly which is why you should have a professional check your device to make sure.
What to do if your dehumidifier ices up?
The most common reason for frost and ice buildup in a dehumidifier is because the device is working at a temperature that is too cold. A dirty filter may also be a reason for frost and ice buildup as this can cause freezing of the coils. If your dehumidifier ices up, the best thing to do is to turn off your dehumidifier and inspect it for any issues. Consult the manufacturer of your dehumidifier to determine the possible causes of the malfunction as well as know what steps should be taken to fix the issue.
Dehumidifiers are beneficial for your wellbeing as they reduce the presence of allergens that may be caused by damp areas of your home. It is very important to clean your dehumidifier to reduce any growth of mold or mildew. Hopefully, this article was able to give you the knowledge on how to clean a dehumidifier as well as maintaining it to keep it in great condition.