Coffee is a drink that is loved by many people. It is a great drink whether you are an employee, a student, or you just need that extra boost in the morning. However, spilling coffee on your carpet would be the worst-case scenario as it is so tricky to clean if it stains. Coffee is a beverage that is difficult to clean because it is a tannin drink – drinks that contain tannin have color compounds that stick, and they usually leave a yellow hue behind. You can use different methods to remove coffee stains on a carpet, and we will be discussing how to get coffee out of a carpet in this article.
How to clean coffee stains from carpet
Several methods can be performed when removing spilled coffee on a carpet. These methods mainly depend on the amount of time your coffee stain has been around.
Fresh coffee stains
All you need to clean fresh coffee stains is towels and water. You may also use a stain remover to completely get rid of the spot.
- When your coffee is spilled, immediately grab a towel, and let it soak up as much of the coffee as it can. Do not rub or scrub the carpet as this could make things worse.
- If you feel that the coffee is no longer being soaked by the towel, pour some cold water over the spot and put a new towel over it. This step can be repeated if you want, but make sure to soak up as much of the water as possible afterward.
- Finally, you can move on to using a stain remover. Any brand of your preference can be used – make use of the directions provided on the bottle. Spray the remover onto your carpet and clean it with water afterward to eliminate the chances of the cleaner being stuck in your carpet.
- Dry off your carpet once it is cleaned and vacuum it to restore its original texture.
Older coffee stains
Coffee stains that have lasted longer are much more difficult to remove than recent stains. The best way to get old coffee out of a carpet is by using towels, water, and a carpet stain remover. You may also use dish soap or ammonia for this type of stain.
Read also: How to get mold out of carpet
- Moisten the stain with a little cold water before starting. Let the water stay for five minutes, and then soak this up using a cloth. Keep applying it until you see the coffee appear on the towel.
- If you have a carpet made of wool, create a mixture of mild dishwashing soap and water for a cleaning solution. Start blotting the stained area and let it sit for five minutes. Then take a new towel to remove any excess.
- If you have a non-wool carpet, mix one tablespoon of ammonia with a cup of water to use as a cleaning solution. Test out your solution first to make sure that it will not cause any damage. If you are sure that there are no negative effects to the solution, soak a towel into it, and gently blot the stained area. Let this sit for around five minutes. After you have done this, take two clean towels – one dry and the other damp. Use both towels to remove any excess solution.
- Once the ammonia or dishwashing soap is fully removed, use a dry towel to dab the stained area until it is no longer wet.
Coffee and cream spills
To clean coffee mixed with cream, you will need paper towels, water, and a carpet stain remover that is enzyme-based.
- If it is a fresh spill, use a dry towel, and blot the spill. Do not scrub as this could make it worse. If the stain has been around for a longer time, use water as a diluter and then blot it.
- Since the cream contains protein, it is best to use an enzyme-based stain remover. This way the proteins in the cream are broken down and odors and bacteria are prevented. Follow the instructions provided on the bottle and let it sit for a few minutes. Lastly, use a little bit of water to rinse it and a towel to remove the moisture. This step can be repeated to make sure any excess is removed. Dry the carpet afterward to avoid the growth of mold.
If you do not want to use a stain remover, there are other alternatives you can use that help remove coffee stains from carpet.
- Lemon juice
Lemon juice is an all-natural stain remover. It is capable of removing stains from clothes, carpets, and more. Simply grab a quarter cup of lemon juice and combine this with two cups of warm water to make your stain remover. Spray this to the spot to remove it. Be careful when using a lemon juice stain remover as it may cause discoloration. This should mostly be used on carpets that are light-colored or are white.
- Club soda
Club soda itself can be used as a stain remover. Simply spray or pour it onto the stained area. Let it sit for a few minutes and then use a towel to dry it.
- Vinegar and dishwashing soap
Homeowners use vinegar most often. Simply mix a tablespoon of vinegar with a tablespoon of dishwashing soap. Combine this mixture with two cups of warm water afterward. Spray this solution onto the stain and let it sit for a few minutes. Then blot the stain with a towel to remove excess.
How to remove the coffee smell from carpet
Even if the coffee stain is gone, you can still smell the distinct coffee smell on the carpet. To get rid of this, you only need a vacuum cleaner and baking soda. Baking soda is a pH neutralizer, so it is ideal for removing any odors.
- After completing the stain removal procedure, completely dry the carpet and go over it with a vacuum. Make sure you clean the carpet completely, as any remaining dirt can interfere with the treatment process.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and try to submerge the entire surface. Leave it on for a few hours or even overnight.
- After cleaning, vacuum the carpet again and make sure there is no excess left over.
Spilled coffee on the carpet may have been annoying in the past as it is so difficult to clean up, however, we hope this article was able to tell you how to get coffee out of a carpet. Now that you have been taught the correct stain removal techniques, you will no longer be afraid to drink coffee near the carpet.