Using a hair dryer doesn’t require special skills. But apparently, the same goes for damaging your hair. You can do it in a blink of an eye. No special tricks needed.
If you’d much rather learn some tips on how to use a hair dryer, than watch it burn your hair, this is the right place for you. Here we’ll talk about the products that help to protect your hair from extreme heat. And we’ll also reveal some hacks for a perfect blowout at home.
Stick with us and finally learn to style the hair how you like it.
How NOT to use hair dryer
You should know that blow-drying your hair on a daily basis is pretty bad and can seriously damage it. And you should try to avoid washing your hair on a daily basis as well. You can opt for a ponytail, braids, or buns instead. These will help you create a gorgeous look whereas no one will know how bad your hair needs to be washed. Hey, we’re just humans (with a lot on our plate) so we understand.
Don’t miss: Types of hair dryers you need to know about
You can also apply a mousse on your hair to get that voluminous and sexy hairstyle (this one is great if your hair is really messy and you don’t have time to wash it immediately). And another amazing option is trying a dry shampoo. But keep in mind that you should protect your clothes and have an old towel at your disposal. So, if that’s not available to you at the moment, a ponytail or a mousse will do the trick.
Apart from blow-drying your hair, try to minimize the use of a curling iron. Yes, we know – curly hair is breathtaking. But, do you know what is not breathtaking, at least not in a positive way? Damaged and dull hair. If curly hair is your thing, well, we’re sure you can learn how to make curls or waves without the use of a hot tool. There are tons of ideas and hacks on Youtube channels. Take a look at some of them.
Okay, now let’s get back to talking about how to use hair dryer. Or rather how not to. You wouldn’t want to keep it up close to your roots and face, because your skin doesn’t like heat. Also, be careful not to let your hair go into the back of your blow dryer because this can literally scorch your hairs.
What you need for a perfect blow-out at home
If there’s one thing to keep in mind for a successful blowout at home it’s to always use an appropriate nozzle to style your hair. If you have straight hair or want to create gentle waves, be sure to use a nozzle/concentrator. And when it comes to blow-drying curly hair, a diffuser is your best friend. It helps to define the tresses and get that bouncy hairstyle that will turn heads!
Another thing is to invest in a good quality blow dryer. For straight hair, choose a blow dryer with the power of 2000 watts. And for curly hair, you’ll need a less powerful model, otherwise, your hair might become too dry. Here you’ll find our review of the best hair dryers for curly hair.
How to use hair dryer to straighten the hair?
If you want to get a straight hairstyle, you’ll need a round brush (or regular brush with holes), a hair dryer, hair clips, heat protectant spray, argan or macadamia hair oil (or a serum).
- After you’ve washed your hair, pat dry it with a towel.
- Then apply a spray on your hair to minimize the heat damaging it.
- Blow-dry your hair at about 70-80%. Then use hair clips to separate it into sections. Start blow drying the hair from down then progress to the top of your head.
- Attach the concentrator nozzle and choose a medium heat setting. Make sure to get to the roots if you want to add volume to the hair.
- Hold the blow dryer in one hand and a brush in the other hand. Pull the brush from the roots all the way to the ends, in a curling motion. After you’ve done styling that particular section of your hair, use a hair clip to divide it from the next section that you’re about to blow-dry. This will prevent applying excessive heat to the section you’ve already done.
- Repeat the process for every hair section.
- For a final touch, apply a serum or a few drops of oil to the ends. This will make them shiny and smooth.
How to use a hair dryer on curly hair?
If you have curly hair, you’ll need a diffuser. This wonderful thing is an answer to your “how to dry your hair without making it frizzy” question. A diffuser helps to reduce frizz and define your natural locks. But, how to use a hair dryer diffuser? It’s simple, really. Drop a part of your hair into the diffuser and start drying it from the ends to the top. Here are the steps to dry your curly hair at home.
- After washing your hair, detangle it with a wide brush/comb. It’s crucial that you do this right after washing your hair because the locks need to be wet.
- Use a microfiber towel to dry the extra water in your hair.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner to make things easier and define the curls the way you want.
- Spray a thermal protectant on your hair.
- Section your hair with hair clips. Then grab one section, turn your head upside down and start drying the hair on the low setting. Make sure to use a diffuser on the roots as well as this will create volume.
- Important step – Don’t completely dry your hair. You want it to air dry for a final touch. This will make it bouncy and shiny.
- What are the side effects of using hair dryer?
If you dry your hair with a blow dryer more than three times a week, the heat can cause great damage to your hair, weakening its texture and causing breakage and split ends.
- How to use a hair dryer to curl the hair?
Take a look at this video to learn how to get curls with a hair dryer.
- How to dry hair straight naturally?
Read this article to find out some tips on straightening the hair naturally.
- Do I need to clean my blow-dryer?
Yes. Check how to do this in the manual. Cleaning your blow dryer or hair dryer will prolong its life.
- How to use a hair dryer without damaging hair?
Well, this is not possible considering the heat damages our hair. However, it is possible to minimize the damage by applying a heat protectant spray, using a good quality blow dryer and brush. And by avoiding too much use of hot tools such as curling irons and blow dryers.
And that would be all on how to use a hair dryer to get the look you want. Enjoy trying these tips and products! We hope you have a lot of fun doing it! Happy styling!